This month’s Teach Primary magazine features one of my English lesson plans focusing on verbs and adverbs.
This fun and effective lesson gets children active whilst embedding grammatical knowledge. With most children currently at home due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this could also be a great activity to complete in the back garden. If you are a teacher still in school, perhaps this is a lesson you could do with the children of key-workers currently in your care.
The lesson involves children completing an obstacle course before identifying and generating verbs and adverbs to describe their actions. Throughout the lesson, children will have opportunities to:
- Use verbs and adverbs in a range of sentence structures
- Explore the spelling rules for past and progressive tense verbs
- Begin to use fronted adverbials
- Add -ing and -ed suffixes correctly
- Find synonyms and up-level vocabulary